Episode 119: J Scott on The Military Millionaire Podcast
Sign up to receive email updates
Enter your name and email address below and I'll send you periodic updates about the podcast.
Join David Pere and Alexander Felice with J Scott as they talk about natural curiosity, podcasting, partnerships, and other life hacks that go beyond real estate.
J is the co-host of the BiggerPockets Business Podcast, a Top 50 business podcast with over 150,000 downloads per month. He is also the author of the books on Flipping Houses, Estimating Rehab Costs, Negotiating Real Estate, and Recession-Proof Real Estate Investing. His natural curiosity for learning and exploring new things gave him the edge not just in the real estate space but in the areas of economics, investing, cryptocurrency, blockchain, and even horse racing!
In this episode, J shares his 80/20 rule, why the shiny object syndrome and Reddit are not such bad stuff, and how an introvert can build a network and run a successful podcast. Stay tuned cause you’re in for a treat!
About J Scott:
Jason Scott (he goes by “J”) is an entrepreneur, investor, advisor, and co-host of The BiggerPockets Business Podcast.
He has bought, built, rehabbed, sold, lent-on, and held over $70M in property all around the country.
J is the author of four books on real estate investing, with sales of over 250,000 copies.
Advice to an 18-20-year old:
Start buying shit!
The Goal: https://amzn.to/3dSAs3u
Theory of Constraints: https://amzn.to/2HB5gtE
For an introduction to our hard money lender fill out this short form: https://www.frommilitarytomillionaire.com/hard-money-lender/
Outline of the Episode:
- [08:23] Getting out of the 80-hour workweek through real estate
- [10:23] The 80/20 rule in learning a skill or finding a career niche
- [12:56] Doing things based on muscle memory and gut feel
- [15:25] The advantage of having a natural curiosity to learn new things
- [19:07] Going further than the shiny object syndrome
- [22:19] Learning about portfolio management from horse racing
- [27:21] Why you should not be scared of asking dumb questions
- [32:24] Introverts and networking: pushing yourself out of your comfort zone
- [38:19] Having a personal mentorship opportunity through podcasting
- [44:25] The mutually beneficial value in podcasting
- [52:30] How a 52-unit property can help you get good at real estate
- [53:18] The importance of getting the right partner. They make all the difference!
- [55:46] What to look for in a partnership?
- [1:00:43] Why you should start buying hard assets early on
- [1:06:27] J’s recommended resources
- [1:09:02] Why teaching somebody is an effective way to get good at something
- BiggerPockets Business Podcast – https://www.biggerpockets.com/biggerpockets-business-podcast
- Website – http://www.jscott.com/
- Email – [email protected]
- Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/jscott_123flip/
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/jscottinvestor
- LinkedIn – com/in/jscottinvestor
- Reddit – https://www.reddit.com/
- “The Goal” by Eliyahu Goldratt & Jeff Cox – https://www.goldratt.com/store/tg
Follow our journey!
- Blog – https://www.frommilitarytomillionaire.com/
- YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/Frommilitarytomillionaire/
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/groups/1735593999901619/
- Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/frommilitarytomillionaire/
Real Estate Investing Course: https://www.frommilitarytomillionaire.com/teachable-rei
Recommended books and tools: https://www.frommilitarytomillionaire.com/kit/
Become an investor: https://www.frommilitarytomillionaire.com/investor/
My name is David Pere, I am an active duty Marine, and have realized that service members and the working class use the phrase “I don’t get paid enough” entirely too often. The reality is that most often our financial situation is self-inflicted. After having success with real estate investing, I started From Military to Millionaire to teach personal finance and real estate investing to service members and the working class. As a result, I have helped many of my readers increase their savings gap, and increase their chances of achieving financial freedom! – Click here to SUBSCRIBE: https://bit.ly/2Q3EvfE to the channel for more awesome videos!
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENTLY OWNED AND OPERATED. ALL OPINIONS EXPRESSED HEREIN ARE MY OWN. THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS SITE ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR OR THE AUTHOR’S INVITED GUEST POSTERS, AND MAY NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF THE US GOVERNMENT, THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, OR THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS.